Thursday, February 23, 2012

Valentine Hunting

I'm a horrible mom when it comes to celebrating holidays and making them special. I do ok on Christmas. I'm hoping to to do better with birthdays. But all these run of the mill holidays that fall in between those two are almost like lost causes for me.

I guess I just missed the boat on the cool-holiday-mom-gene because my mom still sends me Valentine's treats, Halloween candy and an Easter basket via the United States Postal Service and I'm almost 30. Or maybe past it...

We did manage to get on Pintrest last weekend and create some clever and originally cute Valentine's to pass out to our friends at church and school. Oh, wait...what actually happened was we spent 2.6 seconds in the Valentine aisle at Walmart and came away with Cars and Transformer (are you at all surprised?) greetings that we did use a fancy red colored pencil to write our names on. That part is true.

They both had way too much sugar at their school parties, but I was still having a little mommy guilt over not being all lovey and fun and pink and red and stuff.

So in my last second attempt to have some Valentine fun, we had a ourselves a little scavenger hunt, complete with heart shaped clues, Airheads, Slim Jims and homemade strawberry shortcake that didn't turn out all that great.

And even though the shortcake was dry, my dear Ethiopians still have trouble following written directions and my husband thinks I have too much time on my hands, they had way too much fun running all over the house looking for the clues and their treats. And have asked for another scavenger hunt at least 47 times a day in the last week.

Stupid secular holiday - 0. Super cool mom - 1.

Maybe we'll start a February 29th tradition........

At least I would only have to remember that one every 4 years.

1 comment:

Julio said...

Jana -

One year my Mother made all of our Christmas morning as a scavenger hunt. My sister, brother and I still talk about it. It really made for a memorable Christmas. I admire your innovation skills. Keep it up!