Thursday, May 20, 2010

My Katie

On May 8, 2010, the Lord took home the sister He had loaned to me for 22 years…



I remember the day my aunt picked me up from school in 1st grade to take me to the hospital to see her for the first time. I remember bringing her home a couple of days later in a Christmas stocking. I remember a chubby toddler loving her “new oosh ‘an panjose” (new shoes and pantyhose). And her dresses. She loved her dresses. I remember sharing a room with her and our younger sister and thinking how unfair it was that I had to share with my little sisters. I remember being blamed when she fell off the bed and broke her collar bone. I remember her following me and my friends around trying to be just like us.


I remember a little girl who was so obsessed with doing right, she told on anyone she got the chance to…including her own father! I’m pretty sure I remember telling on her to get myself out of trouble! I remember someone so tender hearted that the death of her pet rabbit had her in tears for days. I remember an accident prone teenager who loved softball and track. I remember many tears on my wedding day as she accused me of leaving her for Kenny!


I remember her being so obsessed with shoes that she would rather have new shoes than a new outfit. I remember an aunt who was so excited to finally have her nephews home from Ethiopia. I remember a respiratory therapist who truly felt the pain her patients were in. I remember teaching her the habits of the sarcastic ones in her life and loving that she was finally able to keep up with me.

I remember a young woman who had a heart for Christ and a love for others. I remember a sister that was a best friend, a confidant, my fashion advisor, my bed buddy, my partner-in-crime, my twin…


At the celebration of Katie’s life, these verses, which were found on her keychain, were read…

Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I never thought “rejoice always” would be one of God’s commands I would have trouble with, but please claim that with me as we take this one day at a time. Your continued prayers for the whole family are very much appreciated!

It’s not goodbye, it’s see you later…

10 comments:

Abo, Crys, GB and FB said...

you guys are in our prayers still. We love your family!

amyb said...

How wonderful that you can say, "It's not goodbye, it's see you later." Praise God! You're in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Jana,

I still have trouble accepting the fact that she's gone. Knowing the amount of pain I am in, I cannot fathom what you and the rest of the family must be experiencing. To say that she treasured you would be an understatement because when you left for KY, you were all she ever talked about. I actually got jealous of you for a little while bc conversations (no matter what they were) always ended up with a story of YOU. I knew she looked up to you and admired her for doing so.

I hope that in time this pain will subside. I never thought it would be this painful, but I was told by someone "the more you love her the more painful it will be and the longer it will take."

I would give anything to wake up from this horrific nightmare and hear her voice just once more; to see her play with Tristan, Sam, and Charlie just once more; to see her in her scrubs, just once more. I know I'll never replace Katie, but I promise to strive and be the sister to you that you deserve and be the aunt to the boys that they deserve to the best of my ability.

I love you and remember that God's grace IS enough.

Heather

tera said...

Praying for you my friend in your loss. May the Lord carry your family during this time and give you sweet memories to cherish forever.

Jaime said...

Oh Jana, my heart just aches for you. I continue to pray for you and your family, that God will just give you His peace that passes all our earthly understanding. You are a wonderful testament to His grace through your faith.

Anonymous said...

Still flooding His throne with prayers for you Jana. Love you guys!

Anonymous said...

That was a beautiful tribute to a very special sister - and daughter. You are a precious big sister! I love you, Mom

Scott and Monica said...

Love you, Jana. Continuing to pray for you guys.

Lindsay R said...

We've been thinking and praying for you often -- Love you!

Lindsay R.

Amy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your family will be in my prayers.
Blessings,
Amy