Friday, February 28, 2014

A beautiful family.

In the early pre-school hours of February 26, 2013, we received word of a tiny 16-month-old in Huazhou, China.

Words cannot even describe the excitement, the fear, the joy, the overwhelming-oh-my-gosh-this-is-really-happening feelings that took place in the days to follow as we filled out every form known to man to make this sweet child part of our family forever.

Even though you've only been with us for 8 short months, we've known your face for a whole year.









Even though international adoption is a crazy rollercoaster of complete unknown, there are moments when God shows up and gives gifts that you had no idea you needed.

Even though I never in a million years imagined my family would be grown the way it has been, in His infinite wisdom, The Lord has blessed us immeasurably.

We spent some family time last weekend at Great Wolf Lodge, thanks to some Christmas money from the great-grandparents. Although I honestly don't normally think twice about it and find it somewhat humorous to watch people try to figure out our family, for some reason, I had mentally prepared myself for the on-slaught of questions, stares, smiles, disapproving glances we would get over the weekend being in a different environment. All the things we normally get when ALL five of us are together. And apparently adding a ridiculously cute Chinese toddler with a cochlear implant hanging off the side of her head to our mix didn't help our blending in factor.






We got those stares and disapproving glances, just like normal. But in true putting-me-in-my-place fashion, The Lord put three different individuals in our path over the weekend that approached me and said the EXACT SAME WORDS...

"I just wanted to tell you that you have a beautiful family."






The third time it happened I almost cried. Kinda like I am now typing this out. But you couldn't have wiped the huge grin off my face if you had wanted.

Yes, there are plenty of people that think we are crazy and can't imagine why in the world we have a rainbow of children at our house. (I only have three, people. Not that odd.) And while I can't refute the crazy part, I have never once doubted our decision to adopt. Maybe a few "what have we done??" moments...but never a question to God's calling to grow our family.









God's children are a His and deserve a family regardless of what shade of human they are, what country they were born in or what the world deems is wrong with them. Can you imagine if that same God discriminated against us for any of those reasons?? So what gives us a right to do that?

Nothing. Not one single thing.

Which is why I can answer when people ask me why, with a simple "Why not??"

And I promise you can't give me an answer that makes sense.

At least not for our family.

-----------------------

Sorry I got all preachy on y'all. I just love my kids! If you need more info about adoption, I know a rockin' awesome group of people who love Jesus and would love to help you out. Check out Lifeline Children's Services. Now.

No comments: