Tuesday, November 12, 2013

What's about to happen.

I can apologize again for the lack of posts....but it still won't make me post more.

None the less, here we are, the middle of November. WHAT??!!

I can try to update you on the going-ons of the Cooks in another post (if you are lucky), but right now I've got a little bit of big news about those ears attached to the princess who lives here.

Last week we saw the surgeon for a follow up to her tubes that were placed back in October. And also to talk about the fact that the tubes hadn't really made any significant increase in her hearing. (I'm gonna glaze over that fact that the visit to the doctor's office was a FOUR hour ordeal. It's too fresh. I can't talk about it yet...)

As I eluded to in the previous post, it appeared the only option left, should we choose, would be to do a cochlear implant.

Know that lots of prayer and discussing and worrying (maybe just from Mommy) has gone into this, but our sweet Ellie Kate is scheduled for a cochlear implant on December 16th.

I know. Wow.

I'm a little past the being-overwhelmed-with-it part. Although, I'm sure that feeling will return before it's all over with.

Here's what you can pray for now:

1. Apparently there has to be an audiologist there during the surgery. Duh. Honestly I hadn't given that much thought until today. And EK's audiologist has December 16th off. Not conducive to doing surgery. They have submitted a request for her to come in and do EK's surgery, but right now we wait to see what she says. If she can't come in, surgery would be pushed off until Janurary. And the biggest bummer about that is we have met our deductible for the year already. Would be mighty nice to at least get the surgery done in 2013. Mighty nice. While I hate to ask someone to change plans just for us, it's kinda a big deal in my little world. So prayers for Dr. Katie to decide to come to work on December 16th!

2. As of right now, they have EK scheduled for 3:30pm surgery. Yeah. 3:30 PM. You know what that means. Somebody is at home all day with a toddler that is awake and can't eat. Totally not cool. They have already asked for a "push up" to 8am, but we likely won't know if they have granted that request until the day before. If we get left at our original 3:30pm time, we may spend all day in the bath tub. Because that is where she is the happiest and most occupied. Only way I could think to legally (pretend I didn't say that) get through the day with a starving kid. Prayers for an 8am surgery time!

3. And of course, prayers for a successful surgery. Wisdom for the doctors who are having to do things a little differently than normal because of her extremely tiny ears. Technology to work. Anesthesia to do its job. And calm nerves for a nervous mommy. I mean, you are cutting into my child's skull!! I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to feel like I may puke all over the place.

I watched a story earlier this week about a teen from China who was deaf. He made the comment that deaf people aren't "wanted" in China. I know that unfortunately that's how many cases are, but having a child who is deaf made that statement hit home. Made me wonder where she would have been at age 14 when she aged out of the system, a deaf teen, who no one wanted. Made me feel like I may puke all over the place. Again.

I'm so incredibly thankful we've been given this precious child to be Mommy & Daddy to for this time. She has turned our lives upside down, makes us smile and laugh out loud almost constantly and is teaching us new things every day. I mean, who knew I'd be teaching myself sign language at the ripe 'ol age of...over 30...

More details before surgery date.

Just know my brain is officially consumed with December 16th right now.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: