Oh, Sam.
I've yet to figure out how I can be doubled over in laughter one minute. And be so completely frustrated with someone the next.
But so is life with Sam.
He is hilarious.

Completely literal. About everything....I'm sorry, I know I said we would eat dinner in a minute, but what I actually meant was 30 minutes. Please go away.
Comes up with the wildest stories to explain why things happen. Like why both his sweatshirts ended up at school when he clearly only took one...he was seriously considering my theory that sweatshirt #2 walked itself all the way to school from Spencer County... Or the logistics of how you lose two belts in the span of a week and a half when he swears he never even took them off.
Loves Alabama Football, Diners, Driver Ins & Dives and anything electronic.
Adores his Daddy and his little sister. And will use both to get around anything I've asked him to do. Because he knows I can't argue with him stopping to give hugs and kisses.

Never (EVER!) misses a meal or snack opportunity. (If he does say he doesn't want to eat, he's about to throw up. Guaranteed.) And will stand beside you, tongue hanging out and drooling, if he is done with his meal and you are still eating. As if we totally forgot to feed him. (See above. Also does this while watching Triple D.) His favorite part of school is lunch time. Seriously. Don't joke about missing meals. It's one of the few things that will make him cry.
Plays soccer, but doesn't like to play goalie and would rather watch Charlie play, than play himself.
Cannot follow multi-step directions unless he's playing a video game. "Sam, go put your school stuff up and change into soccer clothes." And I find him 10 minutes later in the hallway naked, with the exception of socks and shin guards, licking his open lunchbox for spare crumbs and sitting on his homework folder. Because he has long since forgotten what the task at hand was.
Drives me nuts with his endless questions about things he already knows the answer to and nonsense statements. If he says something, regardless of whether it warrants a response or not, he will repeat it....over and over and over and over. Until you have acknowledge he has spoken. For example, right now he's giving me a play by play of what EK is doing. I'm counting and he's said the same statement 11 times now. Eleven. All is have to do to stop it is say, "Ok." But it's funnier to see how long this will last...

Doesn't know how to play. We are working on this, but ask him to just go find a toy and play and he can't. Never has been one to play independently with a toy. Now, you want to wrestle? Or go ride bikes or jump on the trampoline? Or play a video game of some sort? Then you are golden! But send him to the playroom to find something to do by himself and you'll find him laying face down on the floor rolling a marble around. And usually asking when the next meal/snack will be.
His catch phrase..."Wha you said?" never fails to make me smile. Translated to be, "I'm sorry. I wasn't listening. What did you say?" It usually follows almost anything I've said because he never hears something the first time. I chalk it up to being a 6-year-old boy and paying zero attention to his surroundings. Unless food is involved. But that simple question is known by all who know Sam. Just be prepared to repeat yourself.
Is so stinking smart. But does things like wear his pj's to school under his uniform...simply because he forgot to take them off.
So now you can see why parenting Sam makes us laugh. And makes us scream. All at the same time.
We are almost halfway through 1st grade and he's rocking it with straight A's!! And only a few warnings for talking. No color changes. He's very proud of that!
I'm shocked each week when I get his Monday packet of work from the previous week....this kid is smart!! But has horrible doctor-like handwriting.
SAM STATS: 6 years old & 1st grade
Weight: 58.6 lbs
Height: 53 inches (he's seriously as tall as some of the kids in Charlie's 4th grade class)
Shoe size: 3.5
Shirt: 8, but also wearing 10/12's
Pants: 10
Love my middle child and all his quirky-ness.
Sambone Hambone.

No comments:
Post a Comment