A couple of Sunday nights ago (May 18th, to be exact), while at our church's combined worship service, we had one of those eye opening experiences where God finally gets your attention. They showed a video on adoption, complete with statistics about all these children up for adoption in the United States, as well as overseas. Although I don't think Kenny actually got to see the whole video, I sat in the pew in a crazy state of half scared, half excited and just cried. We knew this was something that we were being led to do, but it was as if God was asking, "Hey! What are you guys waiting on?" And when we couldn't answer that question, which took us a couple of days, we made the decision to embark on the wonderful path of adoption.
I don't think that I can put into words some of the emotions that we have felt over the last several days as we have shared this with those around us...excitement, awe, shock, peace, scared, sadness, lack of control, disbelief... We don't have a lot of details yet. We haven't narrowed down an agency or country yet, although we are looking into several Asian (Taiwan & Korea) countries. The first step is a home study. I sent in an application on Wednesday, 5/28, to an agency called Adoption Assistance,and as of 5/29, have already been assigned an adoption social worker. We received a packet on Saturday outlining the home study process and all the different paperwork that we need to gather for the home study and we will schedule our home study as we get closer to collecting all the needed paper work.
We have been greatly encouraged (and educated) by reading and following the blogs of friends and other church members who have been through the adoption process, so my hope is to not only update our friends and family along the way of how things are going, but that this may also be a help to another couple down the road who is adopting. Stay tuned...
Many, O LORD my God, are the wonders you have done. The things you planned for us no one can recount to you; were I to speak and tell of them, they would be too many to declare. Psalm 40:5
We have a child. Out there. Somewhere. Waiting. For us.
7 comments:
We are so excited! I've told family and church friends and they are as excited as we are. We have two wonderful grandchildren and are looking forward to more. The path may be long, but we are behind you all the way. Much love.
Lisa
yall make my heart happy! :) i'm so excited for you!!
so i'm fighting back tears! happy tears!! I can't wait and I am so happy for ya'll!! I love you!
Jana! This brings a huge smile to my face and warms my heart! I am so happy for y'all and will definitely be praying for both of you as you embark on this journey! Both of you will make wonderful parents and any child would be blessed to have you as parents! We love ya'll!
i'm so excited for you. you guys are going to be amazing parents. stacey says to name it after her, haha. yeah right. love you guys!
Congratulations!!
Julio sounds like a great name!!
Kenny and Jana! That is awesome! What a blessing that God is doing this for y'all and I pray that He will use y'all to as the means through which He raises up a godly man for His glory! Holla at a brotha sometime and I'll talk to y'all soon!
We love y'all very much!
Chad & Amanda Barnes (MAJOR Cook fans!)
Post a Comment