Friday, June 06, 2014

56 days.

Look.  I know.

It's been 56 days since I updated the blog.

But I don't know how in the world to write vaguely entertaining blog posts all while getting 3 kids to and from school, to the correct soccer field with all the required gear (which is only increasing as we get older), making sure everyone is fully clothed in semi-clean clothes and matching shoes, they've had their fruits and veggies, everyone is making the appropriate amount of poops, therapy appointments and playgroups attended, all the necessary forms we need to live daily life are filled out and signed, be a half-way decent wife and an pleasurable friend and make sure the house is free of visible dust bunnies and grape jelly coated floors.  Oh, and a part-time job on the side.

I mean...virtually impossible.

Although I've seriously entertained selling tickets to watch me go to the bathroom.  Honest.  It seems like the popular thing to do around here.  Apparently doing that alone is no longer an option.  Could be a lucrative business opportunity.  And I could kick that part-time gig and free up some time to blog. (Joking about kicking the part-time gig.  I love it.)

It's really not all that bad.  I love it actually.  (Bring 'em on...I'll take a few more!)  Sometimes I'd just rather spend time with my people than write about them.  And sleep.

But today....today is 5 months of hearing for Ellie Kate!

Still no magical words, although some of us think she has said "Papa".  And maybe baby and bye-bye.  I think it was just a fluke.  Because we haven't gotten them again.  I think her first word is going to be "help".  She's got the sign for that down pat and puts her whole being into asking for help, including a little "hhhhhhhh-ppp" sound.

That or "Mommy".  Which we are awfully close to as well.  Plus I'm the coolest.  Why wouldn't she say my name first??


Hoping brother will share.  She caught him on a good day, because he did.  Sam doesn't share food...


She's a constant chatterbox and quite the noisy little monkey.  We can meow like a cat, woof like a dog and make monkey sounds.  And will imitate anyone in the general area who is coughing, sneezing or laughing.  And occasionally farting.  (Which isn't at all embarrassing....)

She is picking up signs like a mad woman, often using new ones on a daily basis.  Every animal is a cat and every person is Mommy.  At least she can tell the difference between human and beast.  While we are definitely pushing language, all our signs greatly decrease our already heightened level of frustration with our lack of communication skills.

I'm gonna go ahead and document that as my greatest parenting challenge with her right now.  Not only is she a strong-willed, opinionated toddler, she is doing so with limited communication.  Which equals one mad baby on occasion.  Okay, a lot of occasions.  But I have to really evaluate situations and determine if the issue is communication or behavioral.  And a lot of times it starts as a communication issue and turns into a "I've lost all control of my body" issue because I don't know how else to tell you I don't want my stuffed elephant to be in the crib laying at that particular angle right now.  We've perfected the "sorry" sign and giving Mommy hugs when we return to normal happy baby status.  All that matters is consistency.  She knows what to expect and I try to respond the same no matter where we are.  And with patience.  Which is terribly hard sometimes when I have no clue what's wrong.  Now would be a good time to apologize to the patrons of Kroger earlier today.  Yes, I know she was screaming at the top of her lungs.  And no, I don't know why.  But we found us an empty space on a wall and sat down right on the grocery store floor until we regained composure.  Then we got a cookie.

And all was right in the world again.


Cousin stole our chair.  So she sat on him.


She is wearing her ear well.  And most of the time will come sit in my lap to let me put it on with no issues.  The only exception being after nap time.  But she just wakes up mad most of the time and we just have to give her a little bit of time before throwing sound at her again.  If it comes off, she'll come and stand next to me with her back towards me....as if to say, "Hey lady, will you put that thing back on my head?"  Still swear by The Bebop Shop retention cords.  No telling how many times we would have lost the thing if not attached to her shirt.  And how many heart attacks I would have had.

Now that summer is here, I'm still getting used to this whole it-can-get-a-little-wet idea.  I'm just a little protective over something that costs more than my car....I hope you can understand why.  Splash pads, sprinklers, etc are okay.  Diving to the bottom of a swimming pool...not okay.  Not that she does a whole lot of deep sea diving.  There are pool options, but we haven't had success with them because she doesn't tell us yet if she can't hear because her coil is off.  And I haven't shelled out the cash for the latest gadget that makes it capable to be in the pool as is.  Maybe later.


And I worried about how the boys would do with a baby sister...they love her!


We are still seeing her speech therapist, developmental interventionist and Teacher of Deaf at playgroup.  Our next steps are figuring out what to do when she turns 3 and ages out of early intervention.  But that's a whole other post.  I'm just in denial that she'll be 3 in 5 months, so I don't want to talk about it.

She saw her surgeon in April for 3 month check and he was quite impressed with the way things looked.  And her responding to her name.  I have to remind myself that the surgeons don't get to see all the little steps along the way that we do, so he was thrilled she was responding to anything!

We have been cleared by her audiologist until September.  No more mappings until then.  And at her last sound booth test, she was hearing in the 15-20 dB range.  Which is practically normal.

Basically she's a rock star.  Just a mini version.

Speaking of mini-rock stars, the one that lives here is ready for dinner.  And so are her back up singers.

If you're lucky, you'll get another post before 56 days passes.

And honestly, I hope you do.


Just picnicking to kick off summer.  Sam got onto me for not bringing her high chair so she could see over the table.  My bad, Sam.

No comments: