| Stupid snow. |
A bit of ill-timed snow threw the city into a panic and although we tried, it was gonna take me all day to get downtown. (Normally a 40-45 minute drive.) And in the interest of our safety, we returned home after 30 minutes in the car and only a few slippery miles down the road. I was terribly bummed. Like almost in tears, bummed. Who knows...hearing hormones, maybe? But our fantastic audiologist was able to fit us in this coming Thursday, so hopefully that won't set us back too much.
This whole thing is a very, very gradual process. But I'm interested to see how she does in the sound booth with almost three weeks of hearing under her belt. Other than crying. She always cries when we first go in. But then she gets over herself when they bring out the toys.
Here's a few videos practicing our new found hearing skills. I usually take advantage of lunch time when she's strapped in and still to make lots of noise, so excuse the lunch meat hanging out of her mouth. She is still only hearing loud sounds, but she's got the squeaky dog toy, the drum and the vacuum down pat.
She often giggles now when she hears something. Or cuts her eyes towards her right side, which is the side she can hear from. Hilarious. And how I caught her the other day when she realized this doll made sounds. I thought it was a little quiet for her to be hearing it, but the doll also moves, which I think is where some of her surprise came in.
| "What's that??" |
We started playgroup last week and it went way better than I expected. After I hid behind a tree in the lobby of the school (mom of the year, right?) and they were able to whisk her off before she realized what was going on, she did great and never shed a tear. And I got to watch her the whole time from a little booth with a one-way window. While I'm grateful for the opportunity of the playgroup, seeing the other kids that are ahead of her made me realize just how much work we have in front of us. It was good for me to see. The little girl next to her is two months younger, implanted on one side at 18 months and the other side at 22 months and is using words already. I was impressed.
And encouraged.
So, we are making progress. Slowly, but surely.
Now, will one of you guys tell her it's almost 10pm and it's time to give it up and go to sleep....
1 comment:
I seriously teared up watching the video of her and the squeaky toy. She looks so happy and the video of her and the vacuum she seemed to not know if she should be afraid or proud lol
Post a Comment