Sunday, December 08, 2013

FAQ's: Volume 2

So I missed a few questions in the first round of Cochlear Implant FAQ's and I appreciate y'all asking and letting me explain. Here goes...

How will we wash her hair, go swimming, play at the splash pad, etc without the external piece getting wet?
First, it's not attached to her head permanently. I've had several folks ask me that, which is a completely legit question. We will be able to take the external piece off to give her a bath or go swimming. (Take a nap!) Although, it is water RESISTANT (not proof!) and I've heard it can make it through a drop in the bath tub, makes me nervous to try that feature out. If you think about it, there are lots of noises that go along with bath time...splashing, water running, squeaky rubber ducky, etc...we'd be doing her a disservice to not let her hear those things. On the other hand, her favorite thing to do in the tub is to lay down. We'll just see how that goes. But there are also now aqua accessories, which include a little CI shaped ziploc bag (sorta) to wear while swimming. I've heard it's not comfortable to wear and sound quality isn't as good, but those are the things we'll just have to see how she tolerates. Splash pad or running through the rain should be good (so I'm told). Still makes me nervous. I mean, you wouldn't leave your super hi-tech laptop outside in the rain...similar concept. At least in my brain.

Is she getting CI's in both ears?
Not right now. We are only doing the right side this time around. A lot of doctors won't do bi-lateral implants (meaning at the same time), but many kids (especially with a profound hearing loss like EK) end up getting a second one down the road. And then there are also tons of kids with only one. Or one CI and one hearing aid. It really depends on how the individual child does. Our plan is to just see how things go with her, see how her language develops, or maybe even as she gets older see what her preference is. I've done lots of research and talked to parents on both sides of things... right now we just wait.

What about the inside parts...do those have to be changed?
Over EK's lifetime, she may be have to be re-planted (I just made that term up) two or three times. As the technology on the outside improves, the inside will eventually be obsolete and have to be upgraded. Fortunately for us, Cochlear America just came out with a new processor this fall with the latest and the greatest technology. The Nucleus 6. Yeah, the 6. I wonder if we'll all rush the Cochlear store and camp out when the 7 comes out? Kinda like the iPhone 5... just want to be prepared...

We are getting closer to surgery day! T-minus 8 days. I had a complete moment of panic yesterday when I thought that it was THIS Monday and I wasn't mentally ready!! I'll blame it on a couple of snow/ice/sick kids days and just generally losing my sense of what day it was. The days just all run together when you never leave the house. But alas, still one more full week for me to fret over it.

Continue to pray that we get a phone call asking us to come to the hospital early instead of in the afternoon......

No comments: